Bon Air is a small neighborhood of just under 900 people in Pittsburgh’s South End. It borders Beltzhoover on the North, Knoxville on the East, Carrick on the East and South, and Brookline on the West.
Between McKinley Park and the other green space that outlines the neighborhood, Bon Air is a little bit insulated, which contributes to the feel of “Country living in the City.” The neighborhood is just about entirely residential.
Bon Air was annexed by the City of Pittsburgh (along with West Liberty Borough, of which it was a part) in 1907. Bon Air’s population boom took place in the 1940s and 1950s, when it grew from 100 to over 1,000.
The neighborhood currently has a T station, with quick access to downtown. Bon Air Elementary, the only school in the neighborhood, was closed in 2006.